Tuesday, March 6, 2012

The Start of the Start...

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal.  But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven...For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."
--Matthew 6:19-21

When the day finally arrived for me to pick Todd up from the Victory Home, I was elated (to say the least).  I had decided to go down the night before and stay with our friend's, The Trantham's, so I would be at the Victory Home the earliest time Todd could leave.  Driving up to the home was different this time.  It was the last time Todd would be considered a true "homeboy."  The reason I say true "homeboy" is because Todd will always be considered a "homeboy."  I would consider any man who finished the program through the Victory Home should be able to wear the "homeboy" hat.  But, he would no longer be living there.  It was his turn to give back to others.  It was OUR turn to give back to them.  

Todd met me outside and we wasted no time leaving.  Not because we don't love the Victory Home, but Todd was free.  For the first time in six months, we could talk as long as we wanted, he did not have to be home at a certain time, he did not have to call and check in with anyone, and most importantly, we were really on the path to starting our new life.  We drove back to Benton, smiling the entire time.  We were greeted by my parents and were not excited about the conversation that was going to take place.  Todd said in the last post, it was almost like there was an "elephant" in the room.  There wasn't just an "elephant," there was a GIGANTIC "elephant."  One that had to be spoken of.  At this point in time, Todd had only seen my parents once during the six month journey (when his grandpa passed away).  At that time, there was no room for talking about the things we were about to discuss.  My parents really said the things I expected them to say.  "We are sad our baby is leaving Benton."  "What about a job?  What about her job?"  "Why do you have to move away to stay better?"  "You have a lot of proving to do."  They said all the things ANY parent would say in their situation.  And honestly, I understood.  I really did.  But, at that point, Todd and I knew God was calling us to Texas.  You can't really stand in the way of God when he is all but shouting to you to go the other way.  I wouldn't say that Todd's conversation with my parents changed the way they felt.  It didn't.  Nothing could.  Except time.  When you have broken someones trust as much as Todd had to many people in his life, it takes time to gain it back.  

Todd and I spent a couple of days in Benton and then, headed back to Texas to move into our apartment.  Once again, we stayed with our friends the night before we headed to the new place.  The next morning, I woke up with the worst feeling ever.  I was sick as a dog.  Literally.  Of course...What does Satan always do when he sees God's servants fervently working for HIM?  He puts obstacles in their path.  If we lived in Benton, it wouldn't have been a big deal.  I could have called my parents to come help.  Todd could have called his parents.  But, down here, we didn't have anyone to call.  For the first time, Todd and I realized what it was like to fully rely on each other and God.  The experience could have possibly been one of the best growing experiences for us to start with in our new life together.  Somehow, we managed moving in, unpacking, and getting things set-up for Beckett and us when we got back the next time. 

I want to talk about our apartment.  Our apartment is our own little 800 square feet of earth that we cherish.  We love our apartment.  Not because of what it is, what it looks like, what it had in it, but because of what our lives in it stand for.  We are living here not for ourselves, but because we felt God's guidance in our lives to live in Fort Worth.  We left behind a much larger home in Benton.  But that home was so empty.  On the outside looking in, it was everything we could have wanted or needed.  I loved the thought of our home in Benton.  But, like my good friend Kellie said one time, "That home was never what you thought it would be."  Honestly, it was much less.  It was full of lies.  It was full of bitterness and hatred.  It stood for everything I am so glad I am not a part of now.  I have everything I could ever want in our small apartment.  I have Todd, Beckett, and our faith.  I used to get so caught up in what I wore, what my house looked like, what  my husband did for a living, etc. that I lost sight of the main reason we are here on this earth.  We are only here for a moment in comparison to eternity.  When you look at the world and your life with that perspective, priorities change.  Work isn't as important.  The brand of clothes you wear really doesn't matter.  And the happiness of your husband and his satisfaction with his job is much more important than what it pays.  I love our little apartment.

No comments:

Post a Comment