Friday, January 13, 2012

The Beginning



"And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony..."
--Revelation 12:11


Hi, my name is Todd and for the last few years I have struggled with drugs and alcohol and now I have found complete happiness in my Savior, Jesus Christ. The Bible says that we are overcome by the blood of The Lamb and the power of our testimonies. Knowing that I believe it is God's will for me to share my testimony whenever and wherever possible. I am new to this whole blogging thing and honestly don't even know if anyone will see this, but it brings me divine healing to share this. My prayer is that God use me in some sort of way through my testimony. So here it is, I have decided to go into detail a little bit because I think I owe to the people in my life that are a part of it. Those closest to me already know most of this, however, even Meagan (my wife who will also be writing on here and making it pretty) doesn't know every little detail. Not because I want to hide anything from anybody, but because I have done so many bad things in my life that it is hard to even remember all of it to tell her! 


Before I start I HAVE to give Jesus Christ all the honor, glory, and praise for the salvation of my soul and the forgiveness of my many, many sins.


It all started about 6 years ago. I was going through a rough patch in my life and just wanted to feel "happy" again, and as fast as possible. My friends and I had decided to go to an annual festival that was held in Little Rock every year by the river. I decided to call my cousin and see if she could give anything that would make me feel 'good' on top of the alcohol that I planned on drinking. That was the first time that I was introduced to Xanax. I soon started calling my cousin on a daily basis, but she couldn't satisfy my needs/wants with her little prescription. 


So she had no choice but to introduce me to some of her 'friends', 3 guys in particular. Between those 3 guys I was buying 100-200 of the strongest mg Xanax each week. I would sell a few of them to make a little bit of the $4-500 I was spending each week back, but mostly I would keep them so that I could function. Yes, I did mean to say function. I was hooked on these pills after a couple weeks of taking them. 
If you are wondering how I had that kind of money to throw around... well I didn't, but my parents and my little brother did, also my grandparents, aunts/uncles, friends I could rob, they had that kind of money. Yes, they did find out that I was stealing, but not nearly to the extreme that I was doing it and deep down I don't think my family really wanted to accept that their son, who went to church every Sunday, who made mostly all A's in school, was a drug addict. In fact, they did NOT accept it for the next 3 and a half years. They tried to fix it in-house every way they knew how. We will come back to that.


That Summer I entered in to several meaningless relationships, that were pretty much skin-deep and that is it. At the end of the summer I moved to back to Russellville to begin what would be my 3rd and final year at Arkansas Tech University. At this time nobody but my cousin and her friends/drug dealers knew that I was taking the pills, especially not my 'real friends'. My friends/roommates might not have known about the pills, but they certainly knew that I drank every single day. The whole first semester went by and I entered in to countless meaningless relationships, including one with a young christian girl who invited me to Church, so I went, but not until a had a few beers to take the edge off. 


Then it was time to go back home for a month and hang out with my 3 best friends, and since it was the first time in about 5 years that I was going to be single while doing so I could not wait to see them. We went downtown drinking just about every night that Christmas break and I remember one night standing out better than all the others. 
That is where I am going to leave off for now...


Hi, my name is Meagan.  You have just read the beginning of my husband's story about his drug addiction.  When he told me he wanted to start writing a blog I was excited, but somewhat confused.  I have always wanted to blog, but never knew exactly where to start or even if what I had to say was interesting.  We are using this blog as a means to share our testimonies with anyone willing to read.  God has performed and continues to bless us with miracles everyday.  I consider my husband a miracle.  I consider our marriage a miracle.  I consider our son a miracle.  God wants to bless each of us with little miracles daily, if we will just trust in HIM and have faith.   


Therefore, I have to give Jesus Christ all the honor, glory, and praise for the salvation of my soul and the forgiveness of my many sins.  


The purpose of our blog is to GLORIFY GOD and only that.  We hope that this could reach someone who is going through the same things we went through or are still going through.  We hope to send the message that OUR God is a forgiving, loving God who NEVER gives up on you no matter how many times you might turn away from Him.  For the son who just isn't good enough, for the husband who can't get a break, for the daughter who has a standard to live up to, or for the mother who is scared for her child.  This is for you.  


"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit."
--Romans 15:13

4 comments:

  1. Well guys, I love blogs and loved reading yalls so far! We say a prayer for y'all often and will continue to do so. We hope y'all are enjoying this new journey! Love you guys! -Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never cease to b amazed at the power of our Saviour! Thanks for posting! This was an amazing encouragement to me today! I can't wait to have my husband read it as well. Josh and me will be praying for you and your sweet family! god bless you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our God is so amazingly forgiving. He Loves us no matter what.....His Mercy is never ceasing....His Grace covers all our screwups.....His desire is that we love him and see yourselves as he sees us........that we accept responsibility for our choices....and allow the healing to begin. ALL of us stand in need of forgiveness and healing and we are thankful we serve a Living Savior. We love the 3mcguires and support their desire to seek God's face as they re-start their journey!

    ReplyDelete